Thursday, December 20, 2018

Traveling official……a balance between acceptance and utter ignorance!


This time of year for me can be pretty brutal when it comes to traveling.  A lot of people’s dream is to “travel”, and while that is great in some instances, other times it’s a necessary evil to travel so that you can afford to travel….does this make sense?

As an employee, a basketball official, a volleyball/travel volleyball official, and father of a travel volleyball player, traveling during this time of year is almost 2nd nature.  Not to mention several trips up and down the turnpike to NE Ohio to help out my father, who had a mini stroke this past summer and is doing well, but not fully back to where he was, so as his son, it is my responsibility to travel down to assist with this and that.

Being on the road doing basketball games definitely has its ups and downs.  Being in different gyms on a nightly basis, not seeing the same people saying that same things is quite refreshing for the most part….but then you also are subject to run into those people that are still stuck in their ancient ways, where you are judged by the color of your skin instead of the black & white (erry correlation huh?) stripes on your shirt.  As a professional on and off of the court, I just try to go about my business and let those few childish (insert choice words here…lol) dwell in their insane pool of ignorance!  A recent incident at a school system in my area has pretty much led to a boycott of that district from the majority of black/African American (even quite a few non-black/AA officials).  In this day and time where there is a severe shortage of officials, let’s see how the preponderance of ignorance works out of them. 

Okay, on a lighter note, going to gyms where the staff knows you by name and respects what you
do, it quite refreshing.  I actually look forward to visiting some gyms where you are greeted with a handshake, offer of food/drink and some very interesting tales……, while other gyms, it is strictly a business trip…go in and do your best, and move on to the next one.  

There are those that believe it’s financially rewarding to be an official.  I, like most, definitely don’t do it just for the money, but the financial compensation surely does assist with things such as Travel volleyball for my daughter, a few trips to the outlets….lol, etc. 

If you have ever thought about becoming an official, I encourage you to do so, whatever sport you choose, it’s a way to give back to our youth and communities to ensure that high school sports continue to thrive and provide opportunities for our children.

6 years ago I established and wrote my first blog :-)   I have had a very favorable response to this blog, and even requests that I publish more often.  I thank each and every one of you that take the time to read my thoughts/opinions, and will do my best to continue to provide a quality product.

Happy Holidays!
 ✌🏽&❤️

1 comment:

  1. Nice read Money Brooks. I piggy-backed off your Blog and started my own Blog. It feels good to put these thoughts in writing to share and educate people on how difficult it is to be a Sports Official.

    ReplyDelete