Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Small town Friday nights!


Sporting events in small rural towns in something special to behold.  When the entire community comes out to support, not only the varsity team, but the JV team, now that is some type of special community support.
 
In larger communities, attendance at some of the “bigger” games has the support, but the majority of the games has medium to sparse attendance from what I have witnessed.

 I recently officiated a game in one of the small town/rural communities in NW Ohio.  My usual modus operandi(aka…M.O.) is to arrive at the site/school shortly before 6pm for my 7:30 games, pretty much 1.5 hrs before my scheduled tip off.  On this evening, I arrived at 5:40pm, only to find the entire parking lot was already filled with vehicles…(hmmm wondering if there’s another event taking place simultaneously....concert?  play? what??).

Upon walking into the school, there was a line of about 8-10 people waiting to purchase admission tickets.  I looked around the line into the gym to see one side was already almost completely full (my mind went right to…..did they move the varsity start time up??...lol).  I meet the site administrator, and he begins to walk me to the officials locker room.  Once inside the gym, I see that the other side is almost full also!

Game time arrives….we exit the locker room and enter the court, and the place is PACKED!  Student sections jammed, parents and grandparents in the customary seats, etc, the only thing missing was the pep band….but there was enough noise coming from the respective student sections that it really didn’t matter.

What I really love is that during the game, whether it be during time outs, etc. some fans take the opportunity to tell you that “you guys are doing a great job out there”.  I like to ask one or two of them if they’d like to “trade positions” at least for a quarter…and the answer is ALWAYS a resounding NO Thanks!!  This particular game, there was a group of older gentlemen sitting together ( I imagine they’ve been doing this for years), but one guys says to me(during a time out)… “hey ref, you guys are doing a great job, but the guy down there isn’t happy with you”  I laugh, and reply back….”yeah I know, he thinks I suck and has expressed that to me several times already, but I told him one more time and it’ll suck being outside in the -2 degree weather”.  The gentlemen chuckle and one says, “yeah that would REALLY suck”.
 

Another asked if I’m going to do anything else about it……

Me: Nope, I might blow my whistle REALLY loud right in front of him, but that’s about it!”

The game goes off without any of that type of drama, and turned out to be a really good game!  At one point, the student sections were so loud (chanting back and forth), that any weak whistle (sorry…pet peeve of mine) would not be heard…..lol”

After the game, I shower and get dressed and as I’m walking out of the school, players, parents/grandparents all turn to say, “Thank you, you guys did a really good job out there tonight” and offer me some food for the ride home!   Can’t really ask for anything more!
Support for today’s youth is paramount!  Yes, we live in a generation where the majority of them think that they could never survive 5 min’s without that shackle (aka…phone) in their hands, but communities that come out and show support to these kids are doing them a huge service, even if the majority of them don’t/can’t comprehend it at this stage of their lives.

It’s all about support, and support is something that is increasingly fading away in today’s society.

Keep up the awesome work small town, America!

No comments:

Post a Comment